POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc : Re: isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 21 Mar 2003 16:18:15
Message: <3e7b8196@news.povray.org>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
> Mael wrote:
>>> WAIT. Because it seems you [Mael] are using an outdated version of gcc.
>>
> I'll talk to some gcc developer about that.

Well, what we have seen is actually a bug in gcc.

I filed a bug report for the gcc people:

Synopsis: [3.2/3.3/3.4 regression] gcc fails to warn about non-inlined
function

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Mar 21 15:14:55 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Confirmed. The lack of a warning is a regression introduced
    between 2.95 and 3.0. Actually inlining this function, however,
    requires unit-at-a-time compilation, which is presently
    being worked on.

So, indeed: For a function to be inlined, it has to be defined
before calling it. Moving the functions in isosurf.cpp to the
top (as initially suggested by mael) should be done in order to
speed up isosurface code.

Thanks to Mael for pointng that out initially.

Wolfgang